To encourage growth, the UAE has unveiled new laws and projects that will boost the economy. The government has been announcing changes to the current legislation that benefit ex-pats and residents. One of the most relevant ones is the modifications to the grace period after the visa cancellation in the UAE.
In this article, you are going to learn more about the grace period after visa cancellation in UAE. Furthermore, you will learn why the 6 months grace period in the UAE is so beneficial to residents and the new reforms to visa schemes. Let us observe:
- What is a grace period?
- What are the new changes related to the grace period after a visa cancellation in UAE?
- Why are these changes beneficial?
- What are the new UAE visa reforms?
- How do these new reforms bring advantages for visa holders?
- How can Connect Resources assist you during your grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE?
1. What is a grace period?
Every expatriate that visits the UAE needs to have a visa to enter or stay legally in the country. As with any other country, the visa has validity for a specific period of time. Therefore, when the visa expires, the individual must leave the country.
In the case of an employment visa or a family visa, the sponsor has to cancel it before leaving the country. Thus, when the individual checks their UAE visa cancellation status, they must know that it has a period to abandon the country after the visa is cancelled.
This is known as the grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE. With the recent modifications to the UAE Labour Law 2022, the person now has a 6 months grace period after a visa cancellation.
2. What are the new changes related to the grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE?
The grace period after a visa cancellation in UAE is a very important topic to expatriates and residents who want to change their status in the country.
Previously, the UAE visa grace period for 2021 was of 28-30 days. In this case, it was very difficult to apply for a job or to change their visa status. But, with the new grace period after a visa cancellation in the UAE in 2022 of 6 months, the foreign individual has more flexibility to decide what to do.
The new rules after a visa cancellation in the UAE allow the person to stay in the UAE for 6 months, or 180 days, to determine if they want to apply for a new job and obtain a new UAE visa, or to leave the nation.
It is important to note that they have 30 days to carry out their visa cancellation after expiry.
1.1 What were the previous regulations regarding the grace period in the UAE?
Before the recent changes, ex-pats had a period of 30 days to leave the country after their visa cancellation in the UAE. In some cases, they could get up to 60 days. But, with the recent modifications, everyone gets a 180 days grace period after visa cancellation.
These changes were introduced to the new Labour Law, and are great news for those who cancel their visas but wish to stay for longer in the UAE.
1.2 How to check the grace period after visa cancellation?
“How to check visa cancellation status in the UAE?” Since every employee has a 6 months grace period after the visa cancellation in the UAE, it is easy to check it once the visa gets cancelled.
They must enter the ICA website to check their visa status. On this site, the person can check all the information about their visa, including if it is cancelled or not.
Furthermore, they can check the date when the visa was cancelled, and after that, all they need to do is calculate 180 days after that date, to determine how long they can stay legally in the UAE.
1.3 How many days does a visa cancellation take in the UAE?
To obtain enjoy the grace period after visa cancellation, it is necessary to request the sponsor to cancel the visa.
It is worth noting that the process to cancel the visa will take a short time. But, “how many days for the cancellation of a visa in the UAE?” Usually, it takes a day to cancel the visa, but in some cases, it may take slightly longer.
1.4 What happens if the individual stays longer than the grace period in the UAE?
Once the person has requested their visa cancellation, they will automatically start their grace period.
The individual has a 6 months grace period in the UAE to stay in the country legally to decide what their next step will be. The options are applying for a job and obtaining a new visa, or leaving the country.
When they stay for longer than the time stipulated in their grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE, they must pay an overstay fine in the UAE in 2022. This fee consists of a determined sum for each day of overstay.
3. Why are these changes beneficial?
The UAE Authority has always aimed to improve living and working conditions for their residents to continue welcoming professionals who can boost the local economy. The extended grace period after a visa cancellation in UAE intends to make these processes better for expatriates.
With the new grace period after a visa cancellation in the UAE, people can enjoy the following benefits:
- They can request the cancellation without worrying about visa cancellation charges as they will have more time to carry out the legal procedures.
- Additional time to prepare for departure from the country. In this way, they can carry out additional tasks such as closing their bank account and paying bills or loans.
- Employees can work on their UAE cancellation paper and stay in the UAE longer to find a job or to apply for another type of visa.
- People have more time to prepare for the moving process.
- It improves the labor market and encourages competitiveness and flexibility
- Individuals can apply for a freelance visa and be their own sponsors to stay in the country
- It helps people to avoid overstaying fines and any other issues related to immigration.
- Makes it easier for individuals to avoid a travel ban since they will not have to rush to leave the country.
- The person can request a visit visa after residence visa cancellation to stay in the country for longer.
4. What are the new UAE visa reforms?
When it comes to visa reforms, there are many announced along with the changes to the grace period.
Some of the most relevant ones are the following:
4.1 UAE Golden Visa changes
The UAE Golden Visa is a very important document for investors and skilled professionals, but it had one limitation that now has been changed. Previously, Golden Visa holders were not allowed to stay outside the UAE for more than 6 months, because it invalidated the document.
Therefore, people had to stay outside the UAE but make sure to return within 6 months, otherwise, they would lose this crucial document. But, with the recent changes to the law, holders of the Golden Visa can travel outside the Emirates and stay as much as they require. They will not lose their residence status.
On the other hand, there has been some news regarding a 3-month grace period after golden visa cancellation, but there are no confirmations about it. It is advisable to wait until the Authority announces it officially.
4.2 New rules related to the Green Visa
When it comes to the Green Visa, freelancers, skilled professionals, entrepreneurs, and investors can apply for a 5-year residency, as long as they comply with the requirements.
4.3 New types of visit visa
Visit visas are a great option for those who want to travel to the UAE to get to know the place and even to apply for a job.
Since it is an important visa scheme, Authorities have created new types of visit visas. Here is what the UAE has announced about this matter:
- Some new types of visit visas do not require you to have a sponsor.
- All these new visa types are available for multi-entry and single-entry.
- These new visit visas have a validity of 60 days from the date of issuance.
- Some of the new categories are aimed at those individuals looking to find a job, explore business options, visit relatives or friends in the UAE, look for a temporary job, and even study.
There is a new type of visit visa which is the multi-entry 5-year tourist visa. With this document, the person can stay in the Emirates for up to 90 days. Additionally, they can apply for an extension for a similar period. In this regard, they cannot stay for more than 180 continuous days in the same year.
4.4 Changes to Family Visas
Family Visas are also very important for individuals who want to bring their dependents with them. In this regard, UAE residents can now sponsor sons up to the age of 25. Previously, sponsors could sponsor their sons but only up to the age of 18.
On the other hand, there is no limit on age when it comes to sponsoring unmarried daughters. And, children regardless of their age can obtain a residence permit.
5. How do these new reforms bring advantages for visa holders?
In addition to the announcement of the grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE, the government announced new changes to visa schemes (which we mentioned before). In this regard, both the new rules for visa cancellation in Abu Dhabi and the new laws concerning visas are excellent for residents and expatriates.
These are some benefits this brings for the UAE and also to individuals who want to reside in this nation:
- It increases flexibility in the UAE labor market. This is because ex-pats are now allowed to look for a job while they stay in the country.
- It is a way to encourage economic and professional growth.
- Expatriates who lose their jobs can remain in the Emirates and look for another source of employment.
- Foreigners can job hunt without rushing.
- With the new visit visas, individuals can travel to the UAE to look for a job and apply easily.
- Individuals can sponsor their sons up to 25 years old which can help them to apply for a job in the UAE too.
6. How can Connect Resources assist you during your grace period after visa cancellation in the UAE?
At Connect Resources, we understand how important it is to comply with all the government regulations when you are a foreigner working in the UAE. For this reason, we want to assist employers and employees with all these procedures, ensuring that each process ends successfully and satisfactorily.
Our team is always up-to-date with the new visa rules in the UAE for 2022. We will provide you with all the assistance you need to get the most out of your grace period.
Moreover, we help companies thrive in the UAE with our wide range of services. We encourage you to learn more about us to understand how we can support you with our:
- Employer of Record.
- Professional Employment Organization.
- Payroll outsourcing.
- Visa and government services.
- Contract staffing services.
- HR outsourcing services.
- Recruitment services.
- IT outsourcing.
- Staff outsourcing.
- HR consultancy.
- Executive search.
Do you need assistance with the grace period after your visa cancellation in the UAE? Our team of specialists can help you with all your demands. Contact us at +971 43 316 688 or send us any inquiries you may have at email@example.com. We are more than glad to be a part of your journey!
Alternatively, if you want to find the best jobs in the country, you may want to check thetalentpoint.com. The Talent Point is a platform where you can register and connect with top employers from the Middle East. You can also send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and wait for a callback!