As a UAE Resident, you must have your national identity card since it is the most important mean of identification. However, if you happen to lost emirates ID card, you need to replace it as soon as possible. Nevertheless, if you are an expatriate, you may not be familiar with the process for replacing your lost emirates ID. So, it is important to follow the advice of experts in the matter.
In this article, you are going to learn how to get your UAE id card back by requesting a new one. Let us observe:
- See why it is mandatory to have your Emirates ID
- Here we have the steps you have to go through to get an Emirates ID replaced
- Do you know the requirements for replacing your lost emirates ID?
- Learn how to submit your request for a lost emirates ID
- Get to know the time and cost for replacing your lost emirates ID
- Understanding how to get an e-version of your Emirates ID
1. See why it is mandatory to have your Emirates ID
As you may know, the Emirates ID is a mandatory document for both UAE Nationals and expatriates. Even babies must have their identification card.
The Emirates ID is a highly advanced card, since it has integrated state-of-the-art technology. Therefore, it contains all the personal data about an individual. This is why it is essential to have it. What is even more is that the UAE is considering to use the Emirates ID to replace the residency visa page on passport.
Thus, it is a document that everyone must have if they are going to reside in the UAE. You get your Emirates ID once you apply for your UAE Residence Visa.
With your Emirates ID, you can get access to a variety of services such as the E-signature card in the UAE. But, there is also one more reason why you must have your Emirates ID with you, and that is because the police may request it whenever you are driving or walking on the street.
So, if you have lost your Emirates ID or if it is damaged, you may get a fine on your UAE Identity card. And, if you get a fine, you need to pay it as soon as possible so you can renew your document and get your emirates id back.
In case you get a fine, you can check your Emirates ID fine online in a few second and even pay it through the system.
However, in some cases it may happen the case of a lost and found emirates id. If you have not reported your card, you can still use it, but if you have reported your card and then happens the emirates id lost and found, then you have to apply for a new one.
2. Here we have the steps you have to go through to get an Emirates ID replaced
In case you are considering: I lost my emirates ID and I want to replace it, then you have to know the steps you must follow to get a new one.
You must follow the next steps in case you have lost your Emirates ID, or if you suspect that somebody has stolen it. Also, if it is damaged, you have to get a new one.
2.1 Report the incident to the relevant authority
The first step is to report the incident. If you do not have your Emirates ID, there are many processes you cannot do. For example, you need your Emirates ID and your Medical Fitness Certificate for being able to get your UAE Residence Visa.
So, you can report it by going to an ICP Customer Happiness Centre. This way, your reported card will be deactivated immediately.
You must get an ID number for confirmation or a copy of your lost ID, this way you can have this documentation with you while you finish the process.
2.2 Apply for an ID card replacement
After you have reported the incident, you need to apply for a new Emirates ID card. You can use any of the following service channels available:
Also, you can report it to the Dubai Police, in case you are in this Emirate. You can
You can get the ica dubai contact number and request for more information as well as to the emirates id contact number or the ica call center as per the Dubai Emergency Numbers UAE you need to know.
2.3 Pay the fees
Depending on the channel you choose to apply for your new Emirates ID, the fees may vary.
2.3 Collect your new ID
After you apply, you will get a text message with the expected delivery date of your Emirates ID.
Keep in mind that once you have applied for your new Emirates ID, you can track it online through the Emirates Post website. This will help you know when the card will be available for you.
With your new Emirates ID you can use it to apply for the exclusive government issued discount card if you are a holder of a Golden Visa.
3. Do you know the requirements for replacing your lost emirates ID?
To replace emirates id you need to have the following documentation:
- ID card data or a copy of the ID card
- UAE Nationals: original passport and family book
- GCC Nationals: original valid passport, original valid Gulf ID, and proof of residence in the country.
- Resident/Expat: original valid passport with the Dubai UAE Visa stamping or original residence permit
In case the applicant is less than 15 years old, they must bring a personal photo with a white background, one of the parent’s passport or Emirates ID Card and the original birth certificate.
After you have all of your documentation ready, you can apply for a replacement emirates ID. You can also check the status of your Emirates ID application using your passport number.
4. Learn how to submit your request for a lost emirates ID
To carry out the emirates id replacement you can obtain information about the service at any call centre, customer happy centre, authority’s website, or the smart application.
So, to get your emirates id backside you need to use any of the channels available:
4.1 Submit your request through the website/application
You can access the smart services system using your computer, or download the application to your smartphone.
Then, you will have to follow the next steps:
- Use your credentials (digital identity or user name) to access
- Search for the service of “Issue a replacement for lost/damaged ID card”
- Fill in the application data
- Pay the fee
After you have submitted your application, you will receive a text message or email stating the development of the order. Them you can get your Emirates ID through Emirates Post. Keep in mind that you have to go to the nearest office to get your new card.
If you have not received your physical card, you can get an electronic Emirates ID on the meantime to use it.
4.2 Get your new Emirates ID through a Customer Happiness Centre
Customer Happiness Centre are throughout the country with the aim to provide services to individuals and institutions both from the private sector and for the government. So, whether you are in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, there will be a Customer Happiness Centre near you.
Here is what you need to do:
- Go to the nearest Customer Happiness Centre
- Get a ticket and wait your turn
- Submit the application and the documentation to the employee. Make sure to do it properly to ensure there are no errors.
- Pay the service fee
5. Get to know the time and cost for replacing your lost emirates ID
In case you are saying: I lost my emirates id, you have nothing to worry about because once you apply for a replacement you can get a new one.
It is worth noting that your new Emirates ID card will be issued for the same duration. So, make sure to check the validity of your documentation to renew it again whenever it is necessary.
When it comes to the processing time, it may vary depending on the channel you have chosen. Nevertheless, you can receive your Emirates ID within 5 to 10 days.
And, as for the charges, here we have the detailed information:
- Replacement of lost/damaged ID card: AED 300.
- Service fee via eForm: AED 40.
- Service fee via typing centre: AED 70.
- Printing office fee: AED 30.
- Urgent service fee: AED 150.
So, if you are going to do the application online, it may be a little cheaper since the service fee is less than in a typing centre.
Once you have your replaced ID card, you can continue using it as always. You can even change information if you like, such as changing your mobile number on your Emirates ID.
6. Understanding how to get an e-version of your Emirates ID
While you wait for your physical card, you can apply for an e-version. This way, you can have it as a proof that you are expecting for your replaced ID.
It is simple to apply for an electronic version of your Emirates ID. Thanks to the Federal Authority of Identity and Citizenship (ICA) UAE residents can now get this e-version, by following the next steps:
- Download the ICA Smart Service App to your smartphone.
- You can access following any of the following processes:
- Use your credentials if you are already registered or,
- As a new user, you have to register providing your information such as email address, Emirates ID number, passport number, and others. Once you have registered, you will receive an email to confirm your account and verify it or,
- Use your credentials of your UAE pass to access the system.
- Go to the Emirates ID Section.
- Find the QR Code to create your electronic Emirates ID card.
- You will get your e-version in the “documents wallet section.”
You can use your electronic Emirates ID for different government services, and also for telecom services such as du and Etisalat.
Also, it is worth noting that the e-version of your Emirates ID is completely free using the ICA Smart App. However, it is valid as long you have not received your Emirates ID physical card.
Living in the UAE requires you to have all of your mandatory documentation. If you want to learn more about how to check your documents to keep them up to date, check our blog. We have useful guides about how to check employment visa status online or how to get your police clearance certificate.