The UAE is constantly updating their regulations regarding visas. Most recently, the authorities have announced the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023 that are aimed at tourists that want to stay longer in the Emirates.
In this article, you are going to get more insight into the UAE visit visa extension new rules and which options you have to lengthen your stay in Dubai. Let’s observe:
- Get to know the new UAE Visit visa extension new rules 2023
- Leaving the UAE to renew a visit visa is now mandatory
- Learn about the extension options for on-arrival nationals
- See the extension options for Prepaid/Pre-arranged visa holders
- Understand what you can do to extend your visa once it is cancelled
- Connect Resources is your go-to option for visa services
1. Get to know the new UAE Visit visa extension new rules 2023
The UAE is a country that attracts thousands of visitors throughout the year. Recently, the UAE Authorities announced there was a new entry system in the UAE, which established the procedures individuals had to follow to be able to enter the country.
Now, the Emirati Government is enforcing the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023, which state that visit visa holders cannot renew or extend their visas from within the country.
Nevertheless, it is important to point out that this was the rule previously, but they changed it when they announced the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2021 as part of humanitarian concerns due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Given that travel became difficult during the lockdown, the UAE allow individuals with a visit visa to renew or extend their stay without exiting the country. This was aimed to support employers in the UAE during the COVID-19 crisis and to relieve this burden from travellers since there were no worries about having to fly outside the country.
This regulation continued even during last year, so there were no UAE visit visa extension new rules 2022. However, now that travel is back to normal due to open borders, the UAE Government has decided to revert the rules to how they were earlier.
It is worth noting that these rules also apply to those that have landed a job and need a UAE Employment Visa and to those that want to change their visa status.
1.1 Understanding the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023
These new regulations were announced by the UAE Government, and they came into effect on December 23, 2022. Thus, this caused the discontinuation of within-the-country visa extensions in the UAE.
Although many are opting for an airport-to-airport visa change, it can be costly for some individuals and their family members. Nevertheless, there is also the option to leave by bus to Oman and re-enter the UAE, but this has been in high demand and is not available for everyone.
The UAE also announced some new visa reforms in October 2022. One of the reforms is that tourists can get a 60-day visit visa and they can choose the extension. For example, they can choose between single and multiple entries, of durations between 30-60 days.
About permits cancelled by sponsors or employers, individuals can apply for a new tourist visa without any issues. So, it is the perfect choice for those that want to stay for a little while in the UAE while they decide what to do.
2. Leaving the UAE to renew a visit visa is now mandatory
Since as part of the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023 it is now mandatory to leave the country, individuals need to follow the best advice to know which steps they should take next.
One of the first effects that this new regulation caused is that there has been a massive increase in demand for flight or bus tickets. Travellers in the UAE go to neighbouring countries like Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others to make the status change.
This is because individuals are advised to exit the country and re-enter to extend or request a new visa.
It is important to point out that individuals have to be careful with the grace period of the UAE Visa since they must leave the country or arrange the status change so they do not have to pay to overstay fines in the UAE.
2.1 Comprehend which options are available to exit the country and re-enter the UAE
Here we have the most popular options for tourists as these UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023 take effect:
- Exit the UAE by bus: this is the cheapest option since visitors can exit the country to Oman and request a visa change. However, this option is only available for those individuals from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal. Also, buses are running at full capacity, so it will probably be difficult to get a bus ticket.
- Airport-to-Airport: the airport visa change is also very common, however, it is a little more expensive. The process consists in travelling outside the UAE and then re-entering to make the visa change.
Many individuals want to know if there is still the possibility to extend the visa from within the UAE. Dubai allowed visitors to do the extension within the city, but now that is also suspended. Therefore, people have to leave the country and apply for a new visa.
Those that have to apply for a Dubai Transit Visa do not have to worry about this news, since this does not affect them.
2.2 Renew your tourist visa by the border with Oman
In case you are not sure about your visa validity, you can always check your UAE Visa with your passport number. Thus, you can see up to which date you can stay legally in the country.
If you would like to renew your visa, you can exit the country and travel to Oman. Here is the process you have to follow:
- You need to purchase a bus ticket to Oman, or you can also self-drive to the border
- Pay the exit and entry fee for Oman
- Re-enter the UAE and apply for an on-arrival visa.
If your country is not eligible for an on-arrival visa, you have to apply for a prepaid visa.
2.3 Get a new visa with an airport-to-airport visa change
The other option available for extending your visit visa is to do an airport-to-airport change. You will have to follow the next steps:
- Select the nearest Middle East airport to where you would like to travel. Keep in mind that flight tickets are in high demand, so it will probably be difficult to find one.
- Prepare all the documents you will need to exit and re-enter the country, like a visa copy, a passport colour copy, and a photograph with a white background.
- Book your visa change ticket as per the availability. This is a special flight ticket which has a visa change stamp.
- Once you get to the airport, you will get an exit stamp and boarding pass.
- Fly to the chosen airport and come back to the UAE
- Get your new UAE Visa and enter the country to continue residing for the stipulated time
In case you are applying for an immigration change status to UAE resident, make sure to find out everything about the Dubai UAE Visa Stamping.
Regarding the pre-entry visa Oman requests to visitors, it is not necessary to do this process as long as you get a visa change air ticket.
Also, you can fly back to your home country and arrange a new visa, but this method can be very costly. The flight ticket can be much more expensive than to a nearby country. Moreover, perhaps you will have to buy a return ticket too, for when you exit your country.
Therefore, it is important to consider your choices very carefully for extending your UAE visa. Since the airport-to-airport is the most common one, then you can book a flight with your visa change ticket and solve this matter easily.
3. Learn about the extension options for on-arrival nationals
Individuals that can apply for a 30-day on-arrival visa can extend their document by following any of the next procedures:
- Extension of on-arrival visa: the individual can extend the on-arrival visa for 30 more days. This visa has a 10-day grace period and during this time the individual can exit and get the new on-arrival visa.
- Apply for a prepaid visa: the individual can apply for a prepaid visa (if eligible) and exit the country. Then, they can re-enter and get a 60-day prepaid visa.
In the case of those with a 90-day on-arrival visa, they can do the following:
- Exit the UAE and apply for a prepaid visa: this is the cheapest option. They can leave the country through the border and enter with a 30 or 60-day prepaid visa.
- Get an e-Visa: individuals can do the airport-to-airport visa change and get an express 30 or 60-day e-Visa.
You can request an extension for your tourist visa, even if it is a single-entry or a five-year multi-entry tourist visa.
4. See the extension options for Prepaid/Pre-arranged visa holders
According to the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023, those that are not eligible for on-arrival visas, can apply for a prepaid UAE visa before their arrival to the UAE.
The options you have available are the following:
- Renew your prepaid visa twice: if you have got your prepaid visa with a sponsor, you can extend it for 30 more days. However, there are still no clarifications about the new reform, so it is essential to wait until there are updates about it.
- Bus to Oman: some nationalities can get a bus to Oman to get access to visa run services with stay options.
- Airport to airport: as with any other type of visa, prepaid visa holders can also fly to a near airport of another Middle Eastern country and get back to apply for a new visa.
5. Understand what you can do to extend your visa once it is cancelled
As part of the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023, you can request a tourist visa and stay longer in the country if you have not finished what you have to do.
So, if you cancel your UAE visa, you should know you have a 30-day grace period to determine what you will do next. During this time, if you want to leave permanently, you can settle all your credit cards, loans, tenancy contract, mobile bills, and others, and book your flight for your next destination.
In case you are switching jobs, or you would like to stay longer, you can apply for a tourist visa with any of the other methods mentioned. Keep in mind that if you stay for more than 30 days, which is your grace period, you will incur overstaying. This can lead you to pay an AED 50 fine for each day.
6. Connect Resources is your go-to option for visa services
Given the UAE visit visa extension new rules 2023, it may be difficult for visitors and non-residents to stay longer in the Emirates.
Here at Connect Resources, we can provide the best assistance for getting your visa, renewal, cancellation and more with our UAE Visa Services.
Feel free to contact us to learn more about how we can support you to extend your tourist visa or to get any other type of UAE Visa provided you are eligible. Call us at +971 43 316 688 or send us an email at email@example.com. We are gladly waiting to hear from you!