The Part time work in the UAE is a topic that not many employees know how to address. In fact, many expats don’t know that they have the possibility to work for more than one employer. The truth is that part-time work can be the perfect solution if you want to increase your personal income.
Also, several employers are not aware that their employees can opt for a part-time job. For this reason, it’s essential to know all about this way of working so everyone can choose what’s best for them.
In this article, you’re going to learn everything you need to know regarding how to work part time in the UAE. In addition, you can have a better understanding of the regulations so you can determine if this option is the best one for you. Let’s observe:
- All you need to know about Part time Job in the UAE
- Can you work for more than one employer in the UAE?
- Can a full-time employee take up part-time work?
- What are the key aspects of the legal framework of part time work?
- How can an employee work part-time?
- What can a part-time employee do?
- How can Connect Resources help you find a job?
1. All you need to know about Part time work in the UAE
Part time work in the UAE looks like a great option for some employees. However, there are many doubts surrounding this method of work. If you’re an employee that would like to take up part-time work you need to know everything to do this process correctly. In addition, it’s essential for you to know your rights as this will allow you to obtain the most benefits.
Most expats don’t know how to deal with this since they’re afraid that they may lose their jobs. For this reason, it’s important to clarify all your doubts so you can start working the way you want.
1.1 What are the benefits of part-time work?
The implementation of the Ministerial Decision No 31 was great news for both employees and employers in the UAE. Before there were legal provisions, part-time work was something very difficult to offer.
However, once this kind of working arrangement was valid, it started to give several benefits to employees and employers in the UAE. Some of the most notable are the following:
- Employers that don’t have enough budget for full-time workers can hire part-time employees
- It allows employers to hire the workers that they need and offer them the best arrangement
- Employees that only want to work shorter hours can do it and obtain the desired income
- It allows employees that want to have more than one role to do it. It’s particularly good for students
- Employers can create roles for part-time employees for a specific project
These benefits apply for most areas, even when it comes to Part time job in Dubai for female, because it gives opportunities to many more people in the UAE.
2. Can you work for more than one employer in the UAE?
When you decide to take up Part time work in the UAE you have to consider all of your options. Perhaps you’re hired by one employer and you work the mandatory hours but you still have some free time that you’d like to use to get another job. Therefore, a common question among many employees is if they can have more than one employer.
According to the UAE Labor Law, an employee can have two employers. If you have a work visa or a family visa, you can have a part-time job and start earning the income you deserve.
What are the steps that you must follow to have more than one employer? Let’s observe the following:
- The employee must get the part-time work permit from the MOHRE
- It’s necessary to pay a fee of AED 100 for the application and of AED 500 for the approval
You should have all your legal paperwork to carry out your jobs without any worries. It’s essential to note that if you undertake a part-time job and you don’t have the necessary permit, the hiring company will receive a fine of AED 50,000. This applies for expats employees.
3. Can a full-time employee take up part-time work?
When it comes to Part time work in the UAE, some full-time employees may want to do it. However, they don’t know if it’s possible for them and if they’re going to receive legal approval. It’s important to understand your legal rights regarding employment since it allows you to make the best decision.
3.1 What are the conditions for full-time employees to take up part-time work?
In addition to the regular work, an individual can commence part-time work once fulfills the following conditions:
- Get a NOC (No objection certification) from the regular employee (the first part-time employer)
- Enter into a written contract with the subsequent employer (part-time contract with the second part-time employer)
- The MOHRE will give the part-time work permit to the subsequent employer
It’s important to note that the individual may work for less than 8 hours a day for the first employer, but it’s mandatory to work a minimum of 20 hours per week
If you’re looking for Part time job in Dubai for female you must know that you have many chances. It’s essential to look for the positions that you feel are best suited for you. Many employers want to hire females to follow their guidelines of inclusion.
3.2 Can an individual with part-time work change it to a regular contract?
Perhaps you’ve been wondering that if you get a part-time job if it’s possible to work full time. The provisions in the Law indicate that to work full time for a subsequent part-time employer you can’t change the contract.
It’s necessary to terminate the current Part-time Contract and then you’re able to enter any other kind of contract.
4. What are the key aspects of the legal framework of part time work?
To understand Part time work in the UAE you have to know the legal framework. Although part-time working arrangements are common in many countries, in the UAE it’s not something that many employers may offer to their employees.
Having flexibility as a worker can help you obtain more income and for this reason part-time work is a great option. Since the statutory development for part-time work was introduced in the UAE, things have changed for the better for employees.
4.1 What is the legal basis of part-time work?
The Ministerial Decision No 31 of 2018 that was issued on March 2018 is the legal framework of this kind of working arrangement. In it, it’s established that employers can sponsor and legally employ part-time workers.
However, this decree not only allows people to work part-time, but also the employers are forced to permit their part-time employees to be employed by more than one employer at any time. So, if you’re wondering if you can have more than one employer, there’s a legal framework that backs you up in this matter.
4.2 Does the legal framework applies to expats?
A common question that many people may have regarding the legal framework is whether is valid for UAE nationals only or if expats are also included. The provisions apply to both skilled first and second tier UAE nationals and expat workers.
What does this mean? It means that the legal provision applies to individuals who hold any of the following:
- University degree or higher
- Diploma in technical or scientific field
4.3 What are the key aspects of the legal framework for part-time work?
It’s necessary to understand the essential about the legal framework so you can know how to take up this working arrangement. These are the following:
- Part-time work permit: before undertaking a part-time job, you must be legally allowed to do it. For this reason, you must obtain from MOHRE your work permit.
- Primary and secondary employers: it’s a distinction made by the MOHRE to classify employers and determine the cost and provisions that they must give to their part-time employees.
- Working hours: employees who want to take up a part-time job must work 20 hours per week (minimum) for their primary employer.
- Additional hours: employees can work for other employers but they should not exceed 48 working hours per week for those employers.
5. How can an employee work part-time?
If you want to work, you may be wondering how you can take up Part time work in the UAE. Perhaps you’re looking for Part time jobs in Dubai for international students, or maybe you’re a housewife that would like to get some income.
If you’re an expat or a UAE national, you should know that an employer can sponsor you and offer you a part-time contract. The hiring company will have to do the process to hire you and to obtain all the necessary documents for you.
5.1 What is the process for individuals with working visa?
If you’re in the UAE and you’re looking for Part time jobs in Dubai for international students, and you have a working visa, you have to do the following:
- Get a part-time work permit from the MOHRE
The work permit has a one-year validity and once you hold one, you’re able to take up to a second part-time job.
5.2 Can an individual with family visa take up part-time job?
If you’re in the UAE with a family visa and you’d like to get a part-time job, you’ll have to do the following:
- Get an NOC from your original employer
- Get the part-time work permit from MOHRE
These permits are available for men and women from 18 to 65 years old. As you can see, there’s not a high limit for it.
6. What can a part-time employee do?
The employee that would like to take up Part time work in the UAE can have more flexibility regarding their job. An individual that takes up a part-time job must follow the legal framework. Therefore, to understand what they can and can’t do it’s important to know the following:
- The employee can work less than 8 hours per day or less than 48 hours per week for the original employer (first-part time employer). However, the minimum is of 20 working hours per week.
- The employee can obtain a second part-time job and doesn’t need the permission from the original employer
- An individual with a part-time job is eligible for end of service benefits, annual leave and any other benefit
- There is no limit regarding the maximum limit of hourly remuneration for a part-time employee.
7. How can Connect Resources help you find a job?
Whether you’re looking for a part-time or full-time job, here in Connect Resources we can help you. We have a solid network with several companies in a variety of industries so you’re likely going to find your dream job.
Our team of specialists will help you define your profile so you can be an attractive candidate for employers. You can start living your best life in the UAE thanks to a high-level job. Once a vacancy is open and if you meet the requirements, you’ll have the chance to start working immediately.
Would you like to contact Connect Resources for hiring and recruitment services? You can call at +971 433 166 88 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and you’ll talk to one of their representatives that will gladly answer all of your questions.