Most people who work remotely have the freedom to relocate and work anywhere they desire. As a matter of fact, it is a fundamental advantage that they have as workers in the post-pandemic new normal. However, it is essential to know how to relocate and start working in a new place before actually doing it.
In this article, you will find a step-by-step guide to learning how to relocate and work from anywhere you want. More precisely, we will explain each one of the steps you follow in order to successfully relocate to any place. This way, you will be able to choose the place you desire to move to without any problems. Let’s observe:
- Make sure you have the legal right to work remotely
- Keep your employment agreement updated to ensure full compliance
- Make a plan to ensure the transition goes smoothly for everyone
- Prepare your new work environment
- Maintain key relationships by building a foundation
- What countries can you choose to relocate to and work remotely?
- What are the most frequent questions remote workers have during the relocation process?
- How can you benefit from an agency’s specialized services?
- How can we help you get employee relocation solutions?
1. Make sure you have the legal right to work remotely
The first thing you need to do before starting the talent relocation process is to talk to your boss or employer. It is important to have a clear idea of what you want to do and transmit it to your supervisor. This way, there will be no misunderstandings when the time for you to relocate and work from a different place comes.
And right after you and your employer have come to an agreement, you should start considering some other details. The main detail you should consider is your right to work in the location that you have chosen to work. In other words, you should have the required legal authorization or necessary permission to work in that place without problems.
When it comes to legal authorization to relocate and work, it could be as a citizen or through another status. But that type of status should provide you with the required permission to start working in your chosen place legally. And it is normal that the country or location that you chose will want to collect taxes from your pay.
But if you do not have permission to work in that place, you and your employer will face certain penalties. And that is because working without a work permit or permission is the same as not paying taxes. As a result, it is possible that you take a serious risk by facing fines and other penalties for non-compliance.
2. Keep your employment agreement updated to ensure full compliance
Once you have managed to get your visa/citizenship in order, the next step to relocate and work from another place is this. You must take into consideration your current employment agreement and update it if it is necessary to stay compliant. And this is because labour laws can be different depending on the province, state, or country you are in.
You should consider some options if your employer does not have a local business entity that could hire you in your new location. In fact, it could also be possible that your employer is not familiar with the local requirements. And in that case, the best option would be to transfer your employment agreement to an EOR (Employer of Record).
By hiring an EOR, your employer can delegate elements such as compliance, benefits, payroll, and other responsibilities. And there could be advantages for both you and your employer.
3. Make a plan to ensure the transition goes smoothly for everyone
Right after making sure that the legal aspect is covered, you must start making plans for the transition process. And one of the most challenging elements that you should take into account is the potential time difference between both locations. It is essential to develop a plan that allows you to adjust your schedule and still be able to work.
Therefore, before you relocate and work in a country where the time zone is different, you must consider certain things. For example, you need to understand your employer’s expectations for your role, your output, and when you need to be available. This last detail should be taken into account if the organization you are working for has not already embraced asynchronous work.
4. Prepare your new work environment
It would be impossible to relocate and work comfortably in a new environment if it does not have the necessary tools. For example, one of the main things that you must make sure that your new location has is an Internet connectivity. And there are many other important things that you will need in order to start working remotely in another place.
You can organize your ideas and checklist everything you need by answering the following questions:
- Will your chosen location have a stable Internet connection so you can work properly?
- Will you be able to make video calls from your chosen place?
- Is it possible to get access to a comfortable and suitable work environment?
- How long will it take for you to settle in and work effectively?
5. Maintain key relationships by building a foundation
And lastly, it is vital to make sure that your relationships with colleagues remain untouched despite the time difference. In this case, you will not be able to have face-to-face meetings with them, so you have to create strategies. And it is possible to create a variety of them when remote to make sure you maintain your key relationships.
For instance, you can opt for starting informal phone calls, and you will see how effective these casual check-ins can be. You can also set up group phone calls, virtual games, and other activities. But if you desire to get a promotion in the future, you must keep your work documented to get the necessary recognition.
6. What countries can you choose to relocate to and work remotely?
There are a lot of countries and destinations where you can choose to relocate and work remotely for your company. For example, some of the most popular countries professionals choose to work in are Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. But there are many other excellent options for you in case these countries do not suit your needs.
So, let us see this brief list of suitable cities and their respective countries where you can relocate to:
- Toronto, Canada.
- Helsinki, Finland.
- Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Stockholm, Sweden.
- Sydney, Australia.
- Dublin, Ireland.
- Miami, Florida, USA.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Concord, New Hampshire, USA.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Vienna, Austria.
- Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Bucharest, Rumania.
- Svalbard, Norway.
- Auckland, New Zealand.
- Tallinn, Estonia.
- Valletta, Malta.
- Valparaiso, Chile.
There are many other available options in case none of the previous alternatives fits your requirements or budget. But in that case, you should contact a specialist or an agency that offers relocation services for employees like you. This way, you will find the best solution in less time.
7. What are the most frequent questions remote workers have during the relocation process?
Before you relocate and work from a different city or country, there are a few things that you must know. And in order to know about them, make sure to keep in mind the following questions and their answers:
7.1. Will your salary change or be adjusted after the relocation process?
This is a question you must ask your employer in case he or she is involved in your relocation process. And it is the same situation when it comes to your schedule, health care insurance, benefits, and other related elements.
In the case of your salary, there is no certainty if it will be the same or if it will change. Therefore, it is essential to ask your employer about this aspect so you can avoid surprises in the future.
7.2. Will you need to pay different taxes?
As you may know, taxes can vary from city to city, region to region, and country to country. And this could be the most complicated aspect that you can find during the process to relocate and work. Therefore, it is essential to consult with a specialist, an accountant, or any other tax preparer.
7.3. Can your desired location provide you with everything you need?
It is vital that the location you choose has everything you need to work comfortably and efficiently. Keep in mind that visiting a place and living there can be very different experiences.
Therefore, there are no warranties that your desired location can provide you with the tools and amenities that are necessary. Infrastructure, connections, safety, quality of life, costs, and many other details are the ones that you should take into account.
8. How can you benefit from an agency’s specialized services?
In case you decide to request the services of an agency specialized in relocation, you will get many useful advantages. In fact, services to relocate and work from another location will help you speed up the relocation process significantly. For example, if you request help from an agency, you will be able to receive services like the following ones:
- Initial visa guidance to help you decide on the most suitable visa.
- Visa application sponsorship and support to help you throughout the visa application process and, in some cases, to even sponsor your visa.
- Localized immigration and also taxation guidance to help you understand each of these areas depending on the country you choose.
- Orientation and guidance so you can get an overview of the location you choose and the quality of life of the location.
- In some cases, the agency you choose may arrange every aspect related to the home search, relocation for your family, and more.
- Moreover, depending on the agency you choose, you can get the guidance you need regarding the school search if you relocate with children.
- In some cases, you could also receive cross-cultural training regarding the country you choose, its customs and culture too.
9. How can we help you get employee relocation solutions?
If you are an employer and want to relocate your employees, your best option is to get employee relocation services. With our firm, you can obtain these services and solutions, which can also include immigration and visa services, and more. These are very suitable in case it is necessary for your employees to relocate and work from a different location.
But if you are a professional who wants to work remotely from any location, it is important to get help. Connect Resources can provide you with the advice and tools you need to achieve your goals in no time. All you will need to do is to get in touch with our specialists to get efficient and customized services.
Would you like to contact our team to obtain more information about these services? If your answer is yes and if you have any questions, feel free to call us on 00 971 433 16 688 or email ut as email@example.com. Once you do this, you will talk to one of our representatives who will gladly answer all of your questions.
On the other hand, if you want to find the most convenient job opportunities for you, make sure to visit thetalentpoint.com. Here, you will need to submit your CV to search for your dream job effortlessly. Moreover, you can also send an email with your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can receive your application and review it.